[LAU] Piano sounds (was: Re: Rhodes for LinuxSampler?)

From: Leigh Dyer <lsd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Dec 06 2010 - 14:24:26 EET

On Mon, 2010-12-06 at 12:48 +0100, Julien Claassen wrote:
> Hello!
> Sorry for getting this a bit of track for a moment... About pianoseq and
> sampled pianos.
> I think it's a question of religion. I've heard one or two people, say, that
> pianoseqs instruments are so marvellous and alive. I listened to a few tracks
> and it doesn't sound bad. But it isn't to my taste. Just to compare, I've
> found the Yamaha 7CG on sampletekk. I use the JR., the smaller one here.
> Admittedly it's still huge. but I set there and found myself back at school,
> sitting at the grandpiano. Not ours, which was a Steinway, but the one of the
> other schools. Or at university in one of the practise rooms. I don't know, it
> feels so real. Probably due to a bit of ambience just perceiveable
> minutelyround the edges. It does well for me for solo and integrating in a
> song. It's only one sound. But I think when considering to get one, it's
> always worth to see/hear different angles.

It's definitely interesting to hear everyone's thoughts on the different
options out there. Of course, there'll never be one "best" way to make
piano sounds under Linux, but that seems perfectly normal in the world
of music -- just try asking a bunch of guitarists which the "best"
guitar is :)

I do think it's hard to judge Pianoteq just by listening to it -- I'm
sure it doesn't sound quite as good as some of the very best sampled
libraries, but it really does seem to spring to life under your fingers.
It's definitely a lot of fun to use, and it does give you a great range
of piano sounds for the money.

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to try any of Sampletekk's
libraries; it's a shame that's it's really impossible to "try before you
buy" with sample libraries. My experience with large piano sample
libraries comes from the free instruments that LinuxSampler can run: the
Maestro Grand from the LinuxSampler site, the Sonart Yamaha C7 (which
sadly no longer seems to be available), and of course the Salamander.
They all sound great, but they all lack that "feel" that I find Pianoteq
has when I play it.

I'm always after more options, though, so if Sampletekk does have a sale
coming up I might just have to grab the Jr version of their grands :)

Thanks
Leigh