Re: [LAU] questions about limits.conf

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 12 2010 - 18:11:34 EET

On Sunday 12 December 2010 16:37:04 Dave Phillips wrote:
> fred wrote:
> > Do you faced a problem with unlimited memory ?
> >
> > In Qjackctl it sometimes recommend to set memory to 3/4 of RAM, but I
> > never listen to that and everything almost cool here !
>
> I'm not experiencing any problems, I just wondered what to advise other
> users. Ardour warns me about the memlock setting, but it performs
> without problems. Am I just lucky or is there a disaster waiting to
> happen because I have the wrong setting ?

Unlimited locked memory has the problem that one process can lock all your
available ram. Which in itself will almost kill your system as everything has
to be swapped out. And adding more swap will not help then to get your system
back as all ram-memory is locked in place. Instant doom.

Distributions seem to add unlimited memory-lock as default but I think that is
only because they don't know your memory. Would be fun if they created the
limit to 1/2 or 3/4 at installation time.

Have fun,

Arnold