Re: [LAU] partition table

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Dec 18 2010 - 11:05:02 EET

On Saturday 18 December 2010 08:01:37 david wrote:
> rosea.grammostola wrote:
> > Do you have a special /home partition? Why or why not?
>
> Yes. Have /home on a completely separate drive. Did it more for disk
> space, and also to help prevent a death of the main drive also taking my
> data with it.
>
> > Will performance be better if you have a special partition for audio?
>
> I would think it would help by keeping disk seeks and such to a minimum;
> the drive heads would only be dealing with your audio files, not getting
> moved off to somewhere else because some non-audio program wanted to
> read or write something on the same disk.

When your system is a bit optimized for audio usage, the amount of non-audio
hdd-access is very low during recordings/audio-usage. And the disk-seeks
resulting from that are nothing compared to the seeking between different
audio-segments when playing an ardour-session with more then just one mono-
track. Really reducing disk-seek is only possible when a stripped down system
records the input directly to a multi-track file. The same with multiple
single-track files already results in much more disk-seeks...

Have fun,

Arnold