Re: [LAU] Ardour3

From: Dieter Plaetinck <dieter@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Dec 20 2010 - 20:39:45 EET

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 13:26:31 -0500
Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Fabio <capoeirista@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > ok, i was just asking, since the maintainer there comented it.
> >
> > no need to get angry, we are just curious..lol
>
> i'm angry because i've said all the way through ardour3 development
> that packaging of any kind doesn't make any sense. i'm upset that
> someone would give users a 2nd-rate experience by making them think
> that they had received an "important" version of ardour3 rather than
> just another svn commit that will be out of date in a few hours.

the ardour3-svn pgkbuild in AUR is basically nothing more then a simple
script which saves users who want to run from svn some typing work.
this is not an official package or whatever.
users who use this know that it is not supported by Arch and obviously,
that it builds from svn. what should probably be added is a clear
disclaimer "do not ask upstream for support on this unless you know how
to debug" or something like that.
Removing the pkgbuild (and hence just making it harder to run from svn)
doesn't solve the core problem. a warning like the one above does.

Dieter