Re: [LAU] Ardour3

From: Ng Oon-Ee <ngoonee@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 21 2010 - 04:46:08 EET

On Tue, 2010-12-21 at 01:25 +0000, Harry Van Haaren wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 12:34 AM, Ray Rashif <schivmeister@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > You can rest assured that Arch Linux users don't bother about
> > "distributions". Software is only "packaged" because it's a necessary
> > step to maintain a record and system sanity. You can't really refer to
> > our packaging and compare it to, say, Fedora's packaging. We "package"
> > almost everything, even our own custom, personal scripts.
> >

> You've said it there: Arch Linux *users*.

> if clicking "Yes", "No", or "OK" is going to make the program go on without
> reading the box? I don't think so. :-)
>
> I can see the use of the script, but I have to say that I think the damage
> of a new user not understanding "development" software, and thinking a
> program is broken due to them testing a pre-"pre-alpha" far outweighs the
> usefulness of the script.

Yes, many of us are lazy. In reply to the discussion here, however, the
user who maintains the script in question has said he will add a
post_install announcement basically stating that this version is not
ready for public testing. Thus every user who installs it WILL see that
announcement.

> That's not to say that your not allowed to script the process, but don't
> share it online. It damages the reputation of the software you've packaged.
>
> Am I totally in the dark here? -Harry

Everything in Arch is done with PKGBUILDs. Most users wouldn't even
install anything (especially software they may want to remove soon-ish)
without a relevant PKGBUILD which allows reasonably complete removal.