Re: [LAU] Building gigasamples

From: Q <lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 21 2010 - 21:02:52 EET

Mark Knecht wrote:

> Julien,
> If the SampleTek libraries are really done that well then you'd
> possibly be pretty close to usable. They make it look _reasonably_
> easy in your link. I wonder if it really is?
>
> What are you assuming about GigEdit? The Linux version isn't
> GigEdit from Tascam, it's a Linux program. Is your assumption that it
> provides 100% compatibility with the GigEdit that they are showing? It
> might or might not.
>
> Are you possibly assuming that you load the real GigEdit under Wine
> or something?
>
> Just curious, and not negative on the idea, but as a GigaStudio 3
> owner I'll simply report that this has always been the hardest part of
> using that suite.
>
> - Mark

Hi Julien & Mark

James Stone has kindly cross-posted this to the LinuxSampler-devel list.
When there's a response I'm sure it will end up getting cross-posted
back here.

It's almost exactly a year since I did it, but I recall that assembly in
the Gigastudio editor (is it also called Gigedit? confusing) was pretty
straightforward (although I wasn't too happy about having to do it that
way, but needs must and all that).

I think they use placeholder tiny files with the same name as the actual
wavs. I know that LS's Gigedit has a "replace samples" function but I
couldn't seem to get it to work right with something else I was doing,
but I'll have another go.

If it comes to it, it's not a terribly difficult job to manually
drag-and-drop samples -- I've had a lot of practice lately! LS's Gigedit
has some very confusingly named controls in it, because apparently
that's how everything works in the Tascam version and they are
maintaining compatibility.

Or if the worst comes to the worst, I'll just have to fire up my XP VM
again and do it in Gigastudio.

It does seem a shame though that LS is usable on the command line but
Gigedit isn't. Whilst the process of building a .gig file is quite
graphical, I would have thought it should be possible to do it on the
command line.

If some sort of assembler script, or Gigedit-lite if you will, is
possible, I think it would be of benefit to a lot of people besides Julien.