Re: [LAU] Which SATA drive? Size? [Was: Re: partition table]

From: Victor Roetman <victory747@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 28 2010 - 09:27:37 EET

On 12/26/2010 06:09 PM, Brent Busby wrote:

> SATA drives make almost no noise. You'll get more noise from your
> processor and power supply fan than you ever will from even five or six
> SATA disks.

I recommend reading silentpcreview.com and take their recommendations if
you want a quiet computer. Once I got a quiet case, quieted down the
case fans, CPU fans, and the power supply, the hard drives were the
noisiest part of my system.

The best thing by far is to decouple the hard drive from the case.
Suspending the drives in elastic bands as shown here is very cheap and
very effective:
This worked brilliantly for me and now my computer is almost silent in a
quiet room.

Or just laying the hard drive upside-down on foam rubber on the floor of
the case works as well, too.

This article should be interesting as well if you are interested in
quiet drives:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_Hard_Drives

But in general they recommend notebook hard drives if you want a quiet
drive and low heat.