Re: [LAU] midi record and play

From: Bob van der Poel <bob@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 02 2011 - 20:47:53 EET

Okay Julien ... looks like a replay of what we did a year or so ago.
I'm thinking I'm a complete idiot each time I try midish!

> Hello Bob!
>  So if you just want to record the audio output of your synth it should be
> possible with midish. In your midishrc have a line like:
> dnew 0 "20:0" rw # your soundcards ALSASEQ number

I just installed midish from Ubuntu. No midishrc file created in the
install, so I put the one in /usr/share/docs/midish into /etc.
Uncompressed it and add the dnew line from above.

And ... the test:

 bob$ midish
dnew: no such proc

So, let's take out the dnew from the /etc/midishrc file.

Now, it runs ... but no play.

 bob$ midish
import "bridge.mid"
press control-C to finish
^C

Okay, assuming the port isn't set. Perhaps...

 bob$ midish
devattach 0 "20:0" rw
import "bridge.mid"
20:0: No such file or directory
press control-C to finish

So, getting somewhere?

Now, we'll try smfplay:

bob$ smfplay -d 20:0 bridge.mid
20:0: No such file or directory
press control-C to finish
^C

Again, I have no idea

>  Then in midish:
> import "midifile.mid" # quotes needed!
> [start audio recording]
> [turn to your synth and play]
> [stop audio recording, done]
>  But you can also use aplaymidi:
> aplaymidi -p 20:0 midifile.mid

Oh yes, aplaymidi works just fine. Only it doesn't record :) And
arecordmidi is great too, but it doesn't play.

--
**** Listen to my CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
EMAIL: bob@email-addr-hidden