Re: [LAU] [ANN] tschack-0.120.1 and PyJackd-0.1.0

From: Philipp Überbacher <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 03 2011 - 20:43:10 EET

Excerpts from torbenh's message of 2011-01-03 15:19:05 +0100:
> On Sat, Jan 01, 2011 at 05:35:14PM +0100, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> > On 12/31/2010 10:03 PM, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
> > >Excerpts from torbenh's message of 2010-12-30 16:30:33 +0100:
> > >
> > >Means for a user?
> >
> > that a suitably parallel jack graph will use more than one cpu core,
> > which is a major win.
> >
> > backend switching means you can change the backend at runtime
> > without having to tear down your jack graph, which is also very
> > practical in some situations. (haven't tried it yet, but iiuc you
> > can move from ffado to alsa backend or between different
> > alsa-supported cards.)
>
> yes. thats right.
> you can also change the samplerate, but thats not very well supported
> yet.
> another nice thing is that you can free the soundcard by switching to
> the dummy driver. jack graph still runs. soundcard can be used by some
> other software.

> > >Async (jack2?) has a latency penalty?
>
> yes.
>

> > when you want clickless connections, yes, afaik.
>
> from jack2 JackAlsaDriver.cpp:
>
> // Add one buffer more latency if "async" mode is used...
> port->SetLatency((alsa_driver->frames_per_cycle * (alsa_driver->user_nperiods - 1)) +
> ((fEngineControl->fSyncMode) ? 0 : fEngineControl->fBufferSize) + alsa_driver->playback_frame_latency);

> > >I guess most users don't know very much about the technical details of
> > >the jack implementations.
> >
> > which is good in principle (since it seems to just work), but kind
> > of implies we are lacking documentation. check out the jackaudio
> > wiki, torben in particular has been very active there. the wiki
> > seems to be known little, but there's a link from the jackaudio
> > front page.
>
> i doubt, that we documented all the technical details though.

Thanks everyone, that pretty much clears it up for me. Seems like
tschack is the most advanced jack implementation now in many ways. It
did already work well when I tried it some time ago, I guess it's time
to try it again

Thanks,
Philipp