Re: [LAU] Upgrading (was Re: Ardour and xrun markers)

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 04 2011 - 17:35:04 EET

On Tuesday 04 January 2011 15:25:08 S C Rigler wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 7:17 AM, Peder Hedlund <peder@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > And a tip once you upgrade lanas: buy a new harddrive and do a fresh
> > install.
> > You can even keep the old one and set up the bootloader to dual-boot your
> > old system if you feel like you need to experiment with the new system
> > first.
> >
> > I second this, especially when upgrading from something as old Fedora 8.
>
> IIRC, the upgrade process takes significantly longer than a fresh install
> would and the chances of catastrophic failure are pretty high (as in
> "certain").

While I do encounter the odd failure in updates every now and then, the number
of catastrophic failures (possibly resulting in data-loss) has been zero with
SuSE, Gentoo and ubuntu (*). The hours spent getting watching one system to
upgrade while working with another where much better used then the hours spent
setting up a new system with all the small quirks and settings to re-create my
needed working environment.

My advice: If there is a supported upgrade-path for your distribution, use it.

Have fun,

Arnold

(*) My only data-loss was from gentoo to ubuntu where I tried to be smarter
then some system-tools, messed around with the partition-table and fucked up
big time. Thanks to backups and version-control-systems only un-important mail
was lost. And some time after I deleted direct copies of the disk-space
concerned I learned about testdisk which would have helped in that case too...