Re: [LAU] Upgrading (was Re: Ardour and xrun markers)

From: Brett McCoy <idragosani@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 04 2011 - 17:42:20 EET

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 10:35 AM, Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> While I do encounter the odd failure in updates every now and then, the number
> of catastrophic failures (possibly resulting in data-loss) has been zero with
> SuSE, Gentoo and ubuntu (*). The hours spent getting watching one system to
> upgrade while working with another where much better used then the hours spent
> setting up a new system with all the small quirks and settings to re-create my
> needed working environment.

I always keep my /home directory on its own partition, so even
changing to a different flavor of Linux doesn't mess up my local
settings. I've upgraded my current studio machine several times, and
with different distros (Fedora, Debian, Gentoo and currently using
UbuntuStudio) but have never lost any data (and I keep ALL audio
projects on a completely separate drive, and of course regular backups
are made).

--
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.electricminstrel.com