Re: [LAU] A Couple Organ Duets by a friend

From: Q <lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 09 2011 - 01:06:59 EET

Hi Kevin

Welcome to the list! Sometimes just doing a proof-of-concept can be a
really important step, but you've done a really great job into the
bargain, what an auspicious start!

Thanks for the info, I'll have to have another listen to the Carol And
Chorale piece: I could tell the two organs apart, I just hadn't realised
that the two pieces remained each one solely with one instrument, they
fit together really well.

I recently installed JOrgan and downloaded a lot of theatre organ
samples from the Allman Music site. Sadly, there seems to be a problem
with JOrgan, something to do with Fluidsynth I believe, whereby no midi
connections (IIRC) appear in Jack to be able to use a keyboard. The
weird thing is I have no such problem when using the Qsynth frontend for
Fluidsynth. As JOrgan looks really useful and there seem to be plenty of
theatre and pipe organ sounds available for it, I really ought to try to
get it to work.

For the pipe organ sounds, were you using soundfonts in JOrgan or
Aeolus? Either way, it sounded really nice and I'm all for mixing genres
and old instruments with new, totally prog! :-)

If you like organs and venture as far as installing LinuxSampler, it
might be worth checking out the PMI Baroque Organ, now sold by
Sampletekk. I bought that just before Christmas in a sale and although
I've not really had much chance to play with it, it sounds pretty nice
and I've used it in a piece already, although nothing like the standard
of your organ playing.