Re: [LAU] OT: Electronic Music Degrees?

From: Kris C <cpczk@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 12 2011 - 23:19:07 EET

On 01/11/2011 05:56 PM, Josh Lawrence wrote:
> minimal background: I went to college when I was 18, and in my youth
> and stupidity, wasted the opportunity. I went to work in the IT field
> and have done reasonably well, but the 8 - 5 corporate grind is
> destroying my soul. I'm now 35 and have a family.
>
> is there such a thing as electronic music-related degrees (undergrad)
> in the US? or, are there composition degrees that primarily focus on
> electronic methods? I'm considering going back to school, and I would
> like to investigate this possibility, if it exists.
>
> sorry for the off-topic post.
>
> thanks,
>
> Josh

UC San Diego's undergrad Music BA offers a Technology emphasis which I
am currently doing. This emphasis requires 3 courses: 1) Musical
Acoustics which I took with Miller Puckette (yes, the creator of
PureData!), 2) Computer Music I which is a course on how to use PureData
(I made a synthesizer for my final project, very fun class sometimes
taught by Miller as well), and 3) Musical Psychoacoustics, which was
taught by a very strange person (I learned nothing from this class).

Students may also optionally continue with Computer Music II, Mixing and
Editing (which focuses on electro-acoustic stuff), a series on studio
techniques, and some other courses.

I learned a good deal from those first two courses. Totally worth my
time in college. The professors I had were brilliant minds. UCSD is
also well known for it's Graduate Studies in Music which offers a degree
in Computer Music.

Hope this helps you.

-Kris