Re: [LAU] OT: Electronic Music Degrees?

From: Charles Henry <czhenry@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 13 2011 - 01:53:31 EET

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 7:56 PM, Josh Lawrence <hardbop200@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> minimal background: I went to college when I was 18, and in my youth
> and stupidity, wasted the opportunity. I went to work in the IT field
> and have done reasonably well, but the 8 - 5 corporate grind is
> destroying my soul. I'm now 35 and have a family.
>
> is there such a thing as electronic music-related degrees (undergrad)
> in the US? or, are there composition degrees that primarily focus on
> electronic methods? I'm considering going back to school, and I would
> like to investigate this possibility, if it exists.

I'm going to sort of play devil's advocate here and recommend that you not
study electronic music as an undergrad.

Even though I'd advocate that you pursue just what you want to do, you might
not have to go through all the BS that comes with getting a BA in fine
arts. The graduate degree is where you'll be able to make a career for
yourself in computer music/audio and it usually comes with a (mediocre) job
teaching or doing research.

Your admission to a music program does not often depend on having required
credentials, but your "fit" with the program/advisers. So, you could do
anything you want for your undergrad, perhaps more like EECS, that won't
require as much time/effort outside of your established skills.

Full disclosure here: I'm nearly 30, and left the career academic track in
audio/acoustics to take on a job in IT. Now, it crushes my soul too, but
I'm making the best of it by building skills that I'll use in academics
(computer programming and parallel computing).