Re: [LAU] LV2, DSSI and the future of plugins

From: rosea.grammostola <rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 14 2011 - 22:33:35 EET

On 01/14/2011 09:37 PM, linuxdsp wrote:
> . However adding support for another plugin standard such as LV2 may
> require significant extra effort (for example, for the linuxDSP
> plugins we coded up an entire UI 'engine' that can be used for VST,
> LV2, JACK etc, since there were restrictions on using other toolkits
> in commercial products and there were various technical issues with
> using things like GTK in Qt hosts etc)
Thanks for responding.

Hmm maybe this UI 'engine' is useful for other developers? I know you
release your software as closed-source products at the moment, but as a
non-developer it sounds like there is no DSP stuff or whatsoever in the
UI 'engine'.
Could be that I think to simple here though ;)

> LV2 is much improved from its original incarnation, and the existing
> documentation is perfectly adequate in my opinion - it requires a bit
> of simple 'programming knowledge' to understand it, but realistically,
> if you don't have that you won't get very far with developing any kind
> of plugin anyway - and of course there are plenty of 'examples' out
> there. The most significant step has been adding support for external
> UIs which enables us to provide a consistent GUI look and feel
> regardless of the UI toolkit that the host uses.

Good to know, thanks for sharing. It might give other developers more
confidence to start coding LV2 without the fear to start a 'mission
impossible' and get trapped in 'spaghetti' at the end.

Regards,

\r