Re: [LAU] LV2, DSSI and the future of plugins

From: Tom Szilagyi <tomszilagyi@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 14 2011 - 22:44:55 EET

On 14 January 2011 21:33, rosea.grammostola <rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Good to know, thanks for sharing. It might give other developers more
> confidence to start coding LV2 without the fear to start a 'mission
> impossible' and get trapped in 'spaghetti' at the end.

There is nothing wrong with the LV2 docs. I don't consider myself a
professional programmer (I'm an EE really, just need to write software
at times), but I found it quite easy to wrap my head around it.

What is really missing from LV2 is a standard way for plugins to
persistently save their own instance data. In essence, what is needed
is that the host provide the plugin with an "instance key" of some
kind (guaranteed by the host to uniquely, persistently identify that
particular plugin instance) so the plugin could save/restore whatever
data it needs based on that key.

Tom