Re: [LAU] LV2, DSSI and the future of plugins

From: <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 17 2011 - 02:52:07 EET

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 12:10:20AM +0000, allcoms wrote:

> You can't carry on slagging off Jamin like this. Yes, you are renowned as
> being the most knowledgeable person on the list when it comes to DSP but
> constantly berating the poor Jamin guys isn't doing anyone any favours.

I'm not 'slagging off' anyone. All it takes to correct this bug is to
change one '+' into a '-'. Something like changing

  out = low + mid + high;

into

  out = low - mid + high;

This is an error that any DSP student is allowed to make once, during
his first exercise on xover filters. It's not one that should remain
undetected for six years or so. Not if you test your code, or just
listen to its output. Not if you claim to be 'experts' as the only
response to legitimate criticism.

> Please, either fork and fix Jamin, write a kick-ass alternative that works
> how you think Jamin should work or just ignore its shortcomings and leave
> the poor devs alone! (I'm def. rooting for the second of these options btw)

I'm not really motivated to provide an alternative for the simple
reason that I don't really like music recordings to be processed
the way Jamin or most mastering tools do it.
OTOH I had the same opinion on voice auto-retuning, but that didn't
stop me writing the only usable open source retuner. The difference
is that zita-at1 was an interesting exercise, while providing an
alternative to Jamin isn't.

Ciao,

--
FA