Re: [LAU] Master keyboard

From: Luke Peterson <luke.peterson@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 17 2011 - 20:53:49 EET

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 1:01 PM, Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Monday 17 January 2011 12:27:59 Louigi Verona wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 2:25 PM, Raffaele Morelli <
> >
> > raffaele.morelli@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am going to buy a master keyboardand I am wondering what's the best
> > > choice to avoid compatibility issues (if any...) according to
> experienced
> > > midi users/musicians on this list.
> >
> > Hello!
> >
> > I use M-Audio Oxygen series, Oxygen 8 and 65. Works really great, no
> > compatibility problems. M-Audio is known to usually comply with standard
> > MIDI and standard USB.
>
> About three years back, when I bought mine I was told that the Axiom series
> is
> of better quality then the Oxygen regarding the casing. And it turns out
> the
> axiom 49 I bought is nice. And works out of the box without any firmware.

I'm also an M-Audio Axiom user -- I use the 61-key model (a generation
behind the current version), which is perfectly sufficient for my needs.
It's light-weight but sturdy, terrific for gigging or for playing in one's
lap. The key/control assignments are simple, straightforward, and
limitlessly customizable. I don't think I had to do anything special to make
it work under ubuntu. It does not have active sensing.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it has no battery bay, which
means I am dangerously tethered to my laptop via usb when I run around on
stage playing the thing like a keytar (or in practice, I'm confined to a
small space when I would greatly prefer to run around and play the thing
like a keytar -- behind-the-head is still usually possible).

-----
Luke Peterson