Re: [LAU] Audio applications menu generation

From: James Morris <jwm.art.net@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 23 2011 - 12:02:11 EET

On 23 January 2011 02:56, hermann <brummer-@web.de> wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 23.01.2011, 01:36 +0000 schrieb James Morris:
>> I'm wondering if there exists any scripts for generating menus for
>> audio users such as ourselves :-)
>
> there is a discussion in debian, suggested by rosea.grammostola I think,
>  http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia/DebianMultimediaMenu

I agree with the view that the very long menu lacks usability (and
cohesion). I don't like the idea of that many sub menus within the
sound+video sub menu (i'd rather bring the audio menu up to the
top-level).

I have dispensed with the idea of multi-media so that audio and video
are separate (but then I'm biased toward audio/midi).

Perhaps the most popular apps could be migrated to the top level menu
(like I have done with xterm, firefox, nedit, htop, alsamixer). The 5
(max?) most popular audio apps could be under the "Audio" sub-heading
(the 5 would/should be easily customizable by the user of the script).
Then, instead of a single audio sub menu, we have 2 or 3 audio
sub-menus. Loose categorizations such as controllers (ie sequencers)
the controlled (ie synths/samplers/fx) and editors (ie snd,
audacity,etc).

> the problem with self generated menus is, that every time when you run
> update-menu (by installing a new package in debian for example), the
> system will overwrite your settings, so a more general solution will be
> more helpful. I hope they coming forward.

The idea with this script is that it allows some level of
customizability by encouraging the user to edit the actual script.

hopefully most of the things to be edited will just/eventually be
along the lines of:

variable="something"