Re: [LAU] Firewire linuxaudio laptops, recomendations?

From: Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 25 2011 - 11:22:46 EET

On 01/25/2011 01:55 AM, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> On 01/24/2011 08:43 PM, Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, 25 Jan 2011, dmotd wrote:
>>
>>> have started searching for a replacement. Unfortunately the
>>> marketplace has substantially changed since my last search and in this
>>> period it seems that both firewire (400+800) and pc expansion ports
>>> have been for the most part eradicated. As an owner and constant user
>>> of a half decent firewire interface (fa-101), and with a rather
>>> constrained budget, i would hate to have to ditch it.
>>
>> I think you can still get laptops (e.g. ThinkPads) with ExpressCard[1]
>> slots... and that there are also Firewire/ExpressCard interfaces. Have
>> you checked in to those?
>
> for the record, i'm running a focusrite saffire pro26 on a lenovo x201
> using a dawicontrol express card with two 1394 ports. works ok reliably
> for live recording, but not at low latencies.

Positive experiences with a HP DV1070 with a JMicron FireWire controller
and a Dell D430, not sure what kind of controller is in there.
Especially the Dell is nice, it's a 12" notebook with a Core2 CPU and
even though it's an older model you can probably still find them. And
they're available with SSD drives. The HP is an older model too.

Lenovo X201's are nice, we had one in recently for a department that had
to deplete their budget for 2010. So they went ballistic on the specs.
Awesome device.

Best,

Jeremy