Re: [LAU] OT - impulse response recording

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 28 2011 - 16:09:14 EET

On Friday 28 January 2011 07:40:00 Michal Seta wrote:
> A friend of mine would like to record some impulse response of various
> spaces. I don't know the details nor the ultimate goal of this undertaking
> but the problem was about the bst equipment for such recordings. I know a
> loud signal is needed (she has a starter gun for that purpose) but unclear
> about what kind of microphones should be used. Any tips? Ideas?
> experiences?

Many have already suggested the use of a sinus-sweep.

For the mic: Sphere characteristics seem to have the best response. To be
safe, aim them towards the ground and therefor perpendicular or opposite to
the direction the reflections will come from. That way you avoid the near-field
effect which is highest from in front of the mic.

Last summer I did a quite'n'dirty impulse response from one of our hallways
here in university. Lots of blank concrete. Using just two blocks of wood gave
a reverb a bit nicer then the original because the higher frequencies where
attenuated in the bang itself.

but using a sinus-sweep will give you better results both for natural sounding
impulse responses and for measurement purpose impulse responses.

Have fun,

Arnold