Re: [LAU] State of the art GUI

From: <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 29 2011 - 14:19:41 EET

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 11:09:34AM +0100, Thorsten Wilms wrote:

> >In the case of a GUI fader looking like a real one, is it really
> >so hard to find out that you can drag it starting from anywhere and
> >not just on the knob ? And if you can, is that really 'in opposition
> >to the graphics' ?
>
> A knob suggests a different target area, with the rest of the fader
> being one or 2 other ones. Because of this, it would be a lie if
> combined with the current behavior.

If any of them suggest anything at all, a sliding column does just
the same. If I wouln't *know* I can drag it everywhere, I would aim
for the line dividing the two areas, if only to avoid it jumping to
the clicked position which it very well could. I still have to *know*
it won't if there is to be any advantage.

> The knob stands out as an object of interest and makes it very
> likely that you aim at it, if you want to manipulate the fader,
> rendering the benefit of a larger, unified target area void. Every
> time you go for the knob instead of the easier target of the whole
> fader, you strengthen a habit to do so.

Not if you *know* you don't have to aim for it. And then any time
you don't will strengthen that habit.

> Finally, a knob requires "dead" space at the start and end of the
> fader (assuming the mark is in the middle of the knob), thereby
> reducing the length the value range can be mapped to (though it does
> not affect the total target area).

You need some margin anyway.

> Oh, and try a middle-click, sometime ;)
> (Middle-drag doesn't quite do what it should, ideally, though)
> Also: Ctrl-left-drag.

And how are these suggested by the layout and not 'a lie' ?

As for Ardour2's one, I can't count the number of times I've
been fooled into thinking that the meter scale applies to the
fader as well. And that mistake apparently won't go away with
time and use.

Ciao,

--
FA