Re: [LAU] OT - impulse response recording

From: Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 30 2011 - 11:39:23 EET

OK, I read through the aliki docs, built aliki, and got it
running. I'm away from my audio room so I can't actually play
the sine sweeps, record the responses, etc.

I also read through 8 presentations by Farina, referenced in one
of the aliki documents. I've read 2-3 versions of the DRC docs
all the way through over the years.

I think I know how to get aliki to create an impulse response.
But, I'm unclear as to how to use that as an input for DRC
(digital room correction). I'm also unclear as to how to use
the impulse response to get at things like RT60, clarity and the
like. I *think* that if I could take the IR out of aliki and
bring it into octave, Maxima, or Matlab, that I could figure it
out from there. From the aliki docs it looks like exporting
of files outside it's initial format is planned, but not yet
implemented. Do I have this right?

Another thing I might want to do is to have a look at a time
plot including incident and reflected pulses. The time between
those should be an indicator of the total path length between
the source and the mic. By inspection of the acoustic space,
then I ought to be able to figure out about where reflections
are happening (thinking method of images) in that space and
apply sound treatments accordingly. At least, that's my wistful
hallucination. The pictures of impulse responses in the various
docs I looked at weren't zoomed in enough for me to really tell
what might be going on, and they were probably of real spaces,
and not simple textbook rectilinear polyhedrons. I wonder, is
aliki a tool that could help in this endeavor, if my idea is
worth attempting at all.

Aliki, and the direction it's going is quite exciting for me.
I'm definitely going to stay tuned to this channel.

Thanks for the nice work Fons!

--
Kevin