Re: [LAU] OT - impulse response recording

From: Hartmut Noack <zettberlin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 30 2011 - 22:27:46 EET

Am 30.01.2011 20:29, schrieb fons@kokkinizita.net:
> On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 06:55:18PM +0100, Hartmut Noack wrote:
>
>> Am 30.01.2011 13:22, schrieb Arnold Krille:
>
>>> Using a mobile phone to play the sinus-sweep
>>
>> I dont really believe in the built-in speakers. Especially if we
>> talk about frequencies below 150Hz ;-)
>>
>>> and record it with a small mp3-
>>> player should give you the ability to "measure" different source and target
>>> positions in the acoustic space :-)
>>>
>>> Gotta try that some day.
>>
>> I´d be very interested in such a usage-scenario. I got an old
>> Sharp-MD-recorder that came with a quite usable mini-mic...
>
> A research assistant here did that last year - recorded his acoustic
> measurement sweeps in mp3 format. Had to go back and do it all over
> again... Whatever remains of a sweep after deconvolution is just junk.

Do you think, the same problem would arise with the MD-Recorder? ATRAC
is based on the same principles as MP3 so it may have the same
shortcomings when it comes to record material for HIFI-impulses.

> As to the LF, many small devices such as mobile phones generate bass
> by just exciting the miniature speaker at its resonance frequency.
> Works well for kick drums etc. You get bass indeed, but nothing like
> the original signal.

I really would not think about trying something like this. Maybe if one
attaches a little amp and a 6"-speaker to the headphones-out but not
whith the builtin.

Anyway: I think it should either be low-end-punk (recording snaps with a
small multimedia-device) or the real thing with real speakers and real mics.

The low-end method comes with the benefit of being easily available in
any situation whithout spending much time and money for gear. If one
sacrifices these benefits to make some half-way a little better kind of
thing, the whole thing becomes pointless and should be abandoned in
favour of the Hi-end method I think.