Re: [LAU] OT - impulse response recording

From: <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 30 2011 - 21:29:36 EET

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 06:55:18PM +0100, Hartmut Noack wrote:

> Am 30.01.2011 13:22, schrieb Arnold Krille:

> >Using a mobile phone to play the sinus-sweep
>
> I dont really believe in the built-in speakers. Especially if we
> talk about frequencies below 150Hz ;-)
>
> >and record it with a small mp3-
> >player should give you the ability to "measure" different source and target
> >positions in the acoustic space :-)
> >
> >Gotta try that some day.
>
> IŽd be very interested in such a usage-scenario. I got an old
> Sharp-MD-recorder that came with a quite usable mini-mic...

A research assistant here did that last year - recorded his acoustic
measurement sweeps in mp3 format. Had to go back and do it all over
again... Whatever remains of a sweep after deconvolution is just junk.

As to the LF, many small devices such as mobile phones generate bass
by just exciting the miniature speaker at its resonance frequency.
Works well for kick drums etc. You get bass indeed, but nothing like
the original signal.

Ciao,

--
FA