Re: [LAU] Linux programs for creatiing/manipulating sound effects

From: Hartmut Noack <zettberlin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 07 2011 - 12:55:28 EET

Am 07.02.2011 06:54, schrieb Bearcat M. Şandor:
> Folks,
>
> I've been thinking about playing with sound effects. For a lot of my
> life, i've been interested in the sounds that various things make and i
> am wondering if there is a linux program that would allow me to take a
> sound clip and manipulate it.

Ardour.

While Ardour may not be the typical Waveeditor for Soundeffects it still
offers the most advanced features for such tasks:

1.) completely realtime -- adjust the parameters of effect-software
while you actually listening to what you do.

2.) non-destructive, sample-accurate editing

3.) complete automatisation -- draw a curve to change parameters in
effects and filters in the timeline.

4.) acceptable offline time-streching.

5.) complete Jack-integration -- not satisfied with what you can do with
you chair-sqeak using plug ins? Send the output of Ardour to standalone
FX-software like Guitarix or Autotalent and record the results to a new
track in Ardour.

6.) export to professional formats in a professional manner.

The only program I know, that is up to date and can do some stuff not
easily possible with Ardour would be SND. Another very interesting
Application for your Task is Sonic Visualizer.

Combining these 3 should give you access to near-unlimited possibilities
for your task.