[LAU] Linux programs for creatiing/manipulating sound effects

From: Bearcat M. <hometheater@email-addr-hidden-soul.com>
Date: Mon Feb 07 2011 - 07:54:56 EET

Folks,

I've been thinking about playing with sound effects. For a lot of my
life, i've been interested in the sounds that various things make and i
am wondering if there is a linux program that would allow me to take a
sound clip and manipulate it. Like taking the sound of a chair squeak
and distort it, stretch it, apply filters to it, alter the tone etc.

Is there a linux gui app for this sort of thing? Preferably in with the
gtk tool kit as i have that all loaded up?

I did some digging around, but i didn't see much. Of course there's
always the chance that i looked at something that would do it well and
didn't recognise it.

What is that kind of program called?

Thanks,

Bearcat