Re: [LAU] Linux programs for creatiing/manipulating sound effects

From: Philipp Überbacher <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 09 2011 - 12:13:41 EET

Excerpts from Jeremy Jongepier's message of 2011-02-07 09:33:38 +0100:
> On 02/07/2011 06:54 AM, Bearcat M. Şandor wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > I've been thinking about playing with sound effects. For a lot of my
> > life, i've been interested in the sounds that various things make and i
> > am wondering if there is a linux program that would allow me to take a
> > sound clip and manipulate it. Like taking the sound of a chair squeak
> > and distort it, stretch it, apply filters to it, alter the tone etc.
> >
> > Is there a linux gui app for this sort of thing? Preferably in with the
> > gtk tool kit as i have that all loaded up?
> >
> > I did some digging around, but i didn't see much. Of course there's
> > always the chance that i looked at something that would do it well and
> > didn't recognise it.
> >
> > What is that kind of program called?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Bearcat
> >

> Smasher. It's a beat slicer.
> http://smasher.sourceforge.net/
> Not real-time though.
>
> Best,
>
> Jeremy

Do you happen to know how to change the audio interface or even better
how to tell it to use jack? Smasher seems to suffer from the gstreamer
curse, it's so simple and humble that it uses the laptops built in
soundcard & speakers instead of the nice interface & speakers.