Re: [LAU] Lightweight, small-screen-real-estate sequencer?

From: Brent Busby <brent@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 12 2011 - 18:54:13 EET

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011, Chris Cannam wrote:

> On 11 February 2011 19:13, Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> Is there a lightweight, fast, not-extravagant-with-screen-real-estate (i.e. will work in 1024X600) piano-roll sequencer?
>
> Just for grins, I had a crack at building the very ancient "X11
> Rosegarden" 2.1
> (http://www.cannam.demon.co.uk/rosegarden/distribution/) which was
> originally written for Sun-3 and SGI Indigo and hasn't been seriously
> worked on since 1999. It was hopelessly unable to work on my current
> 64-bit machine... must be fixable, might be an amusing bit of hacking.
>
> That would be _very_ fast these days... but it never did all that much.

If you ever get the old Rosegarden working, let us know. Lots of people
seem to think that it's necessary to make something run on GTK or QT to
make it look good. I actually loved the look of the old Rosegarden.
Too bad it's completely oblivious to Alsa concepts of Midi.

+ UNIX Systems Admin	 +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ Physical Sciences Div. +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ James Franck Institute +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky