Re: [LAU] Lightweight, small-screen-real-estate sequencer?

From: Chris Cannam <cannam@email-addr-hidden-day-breakfast.com>
Date: Sun Feb 13 2011 - 00:17:54 EET

On 12 February 2011 16:54, Brent Busby <brent@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> If you ever get the old Rosegarden working, let us know.  Lots of people
> seem to think that it's necessary to make something run on GTK or QT to make
> it look good.  I actually loved the look of the old Rosegarden.

It's not just a question of looks though, of course. These "proper"
toolkits provide many basic usability features, including such obvious
things as keyboard shortcuts and menus that don't go away when you
release the mouse button, that were absent from Prehistoric
Rosegarden's Athena-based widgets.

Though I did have a soft spot for that flat monochrome look -- which
was partly a design consequence of doing much of the initial work
using genuinely mono displays (huge, high-resolution Sun CRT monitors
supporting black and white pixels only, no greyscale).

Looks aside, if you tried Antique Rosegarden again now I'm sure you'd
be surprised by how little it could actually do.

Chris