Re: [LAU] Snd learning curve

From: Hartmut Noack <zettberlin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 14 2011 - 22:38:21 EET

Am 10.02.2011 21:00, schrieb Bill Schottstaedt:
> Thanks for the kind words about Snd! If any of you have the
> time and inclination, I'd like to hear how Snd should be changed
> to make it easier to use. My main interest is in the sound
> processing, not the user interface (which I guess is painfully obvious),

But testing snd-gtk in Fedora14 (the version from CCRMA) the only
trouble I see *is* related to the UI. Especially things like this:

snd-error: gtk-popup.scm needs the xg module (either 'make xg' or build
Snd with --with-static-xg): /home/zettberlin/xg.so: Kann die
Shared-Object-Datei nicht öffnen: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
"gtk-popup.scm"[14]: (if (string? hxm) (snd-error (format #f
"gtk-popup.scm needs the xg module (either 'make xg' or build Snd with
--with-static-xg): ~A" hxm)) (dlinit hxm "Init_libxg"))

I would consider it a major improvement, if such dialogues would not pop
up in a general distribution of Snd. If a program offers me the
opportunity to switch a feature on and if I do it informs me of a
missing module, then I consider this a bug in the way the program is
distributed.

And even though I have used Ardour for 50+-track-productions for years
and have worked with about a dozen different sound-editors for hundreds
of houres I do not manage to play a loop in Snd. Please! If you could
educate me on this -- how do I play a selection looped ... well and how
do I get a cursor that shows me what sample is being played in the graph
actually -- that would mean the difference between giving in once more
and start using Snd for real work on a regular basis.

best regards

HZN