Re: [LAU] Lightweight, small-screen-real-estate sequencer?

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 16 2011 - 00:29:26 EET

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 11:07:51AM +0100, Robert Jonsson wrote:
> 2011/2/12 Hartmut Noack <zettberlin@email-addr-hidden>:
> > Am 12.02.2011 00:12, schrieb Ken Restivo:
> <...>
> >>
> >> Thanks. I used it successfully for years on a 64-bit 2.33Ghz Intel PC with
> >> 2GB RAM, but it is unusably slow on a 1.6Ghz 32-bit Intel PC with 1GB RAM.
> >
> > No offence ment but what 1.6 GHz/1GB RAM machine is that?
> >
> > I had Seq24 running on a Toshiba Laptop with 1GHz PIII and 256RAM and it was
> > running perfectly OK. A collegue used it professionally on a 800 MHz Celeron
> > with 256 RAM.
>
> I'd have to agree with that, most old sk00l linux sequencers should
> really have no problem on an 1.6Ghz machine.
> This thread woke old memories of trying to create music in a linux
> environment ten years ago and the trials and tribulations you had to
> go through.
> We've definitely come long way, though there is always ways to go.
> I recall having a Pentium II Celeron 300A (likely overclocked) at that
> time which I was running MusE under, midi was never a problem, could
> only run a few audio tracks though.

OK, after working on this a bit, I have the following to report:

1) The problem isn't really the sequencer. It is running the sequencer *along with all of my softsynths* (which are of course using RT priority) that causes even seq24 to slow to an unusable crawl.

2) Rosegarden is fine for most uses, except it tends to crash, and the transport key shortcuts are totally different from Ardour, which continually trips me up (I guess I can customize those somehow, I'll look).

3) The screen real estate issue is a much bigger problem than the performance. I mean, this is the open dialog: http://restivo.org/misc/big.png

4) I haven't tried Muse but I'll have a look. I tried qtractor years ago when I think it was still a work in progress, but will have another go at it now.

Thanks all for the nostalgia!

-ken