Re: [LAU] no-os laptop

From: Lorenzo Sutton <lsutton@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 18 2011 - 15:17:50 EET

Ciao Renato,

Renato wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 21:31:31 +0100
> Jeremy Jongepier<jeremy@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

>>> I have to look up the article about this from the Dutch consumer
>>> group. But if you check the MS EULA you're entitled for a refund if
>>> you don't accept the license. I'll also dig up my mail conversation
>>> I had with HP after I had purchased a HP notebook.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Jeremy
>> Dug up the conversation with HP. They told me they couldn't give me a
>> refund because the license is indissolubly linked to the notebook
>> (which is tying). They proposed I should contact Microsoft but added
>> I would probably get the same answer. I didn't contact Microsoft, I
>> think because they only have paid phone lines. So I didn't take it
>> any further. When I bought my netbook I also contacted the
>> manufacturer (Packard Bell). They told me I was indeed entitled for a
>> refund but guess what, it would mean I would have to send my netbook
>> to the support desk AT MY OWN EXPENSES (which would be about €20,-)
>> and that the refund would be approx. €40,-. Of course I could've hold
>> on to my principles and sent back my netbook but rumors were it would
>> take weeks before I would get it back. So I didn't send it back and
>> wiped Windows off myself which took me like 10 seconds with gparted.
>> But I'll look up the article from the Dutch consumer group. they did
>> some further investigating and came up with a list of the most
>> important manufacturers and what their policy is towards refunding
>> unaccepted Windows licenses.
>>
> I've found this italian site of ADUC (a customer's group) which has a
> "ready" letter (don't know how to say it correctly) to send to your
> computer manufacturer asking for a refund:
>
> http://sosonline.aduc.it/modulo/richiesta+rimborso+microsoft+windows+pre+installato_9461.php
>
> basically it quotes the EULA in the relevant portion, where it says
> that you can refuse it, give back the software and have a refund.
>
> AFAICT you can't ask for a refund if the windows os was allready
> installed when you bought the computer, but only if you had to install
> it yourself (and thus could refuse the EULA).
Yes. Did you see from the same site someone won a court case about this?
http://avvertenze.aduc.it/rimborsowindows/articolo/rimborso+windows+storia+della+prima+causa+vinta_17008.php

But it looks like it won't be so easy. For my last laptop I ended up
going to the nearest 'media-store' and getting a preinstalled vista
laptop, trash vista and install linux. It would be nice to get os-less
machines easily though.

Lorenzo