Re: [LAU] M-Audio Fast Track Ultra

From: Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 19 2011 - 10:50:23 EET

On 02/19/2011 04:58 AM, Chip VanDan wrote:
> In a complete and utter fervor today with some newfound extra cash I
> impulsively purchased an M-Audio Fast Track Ultra, with the hopes and
> prayers that it would "just work" on my Ubuntu Studio 10.04 system. My
> confidence was quickly shattered when I got it home, plugged it in, and did
> some research on it. There is a multitude of links out there with people
> that have had problems with it in Linux, and a few have gotten it to work,
> but I have no idea how.
>
> So before I go back to the store I figured I'd reach out to the group to see
> if anyone had any up-to-date information about this equipment, or if they
> had any suggestions about something good I could exchange it for that might
> "just work". I need at least 3 inputs (XLR& Quarter Inch) and cannot spend
> much more than the $299 I got this M-Audio Fast Track Ultra for.
>
> For reference sake, I'm having the exact same problem as referenced on this
> forum: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=884329
> but I don't really understand the directions on how they fixed the issue.

Hello,

You could try the real-time kernel from Tango Studio. It has been
patched to work with the M-Audio Fast Track Pro so maybe it also works
with the Ultra.

The apt line:
deb http://download.tuxfamily.org/tangostudio/ lucid-lowlatency main

Afterwards:
apt-get upgrade
apt-get install linux-realtime
apt-get install linux-headers-realtime

Then reboot into the 2.6.33-30-realtime kernel.

Best,

Jeremy