Re: [LAU] sf2 to h2kit?

From: allcoms <allcoms@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 19 2011 - 23:10:18 EET

Hi Gabriel!

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 7:38 PM, Gabriel M. Beddingfield
<gabrbedd@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Saturday, February 19, 2011 12:59:37 pm allcoms wrote:
>> I'm wondering if a straight sf2 to h2kit would actually
>> be possible now. I've not been able to find any docs on
>> the h2kit format but through browsing the hydrogen
>> forums I'm now concerned that h2kits are limited to 32
>> instruments/samples/notes? On top of this the minimum
>> note number I seem to be able to trigger under composite
>> is MIDI note 36 (C2) so it would be a bit confusing if I
>> have to transpose notes in the conversion. So - Gabriel
>> or any of the hydrogen devs - would it be possible to
>> convert a piano sf2 (for example) to a h2kit without
>> sacrificing a number of octaves?
>
> SF2 is a general purpose format for creating multi-sampled
> instruments.
>
> H2's drumkits are a specialized and much more limited format
> for creating simple playback triggers with 1 Note == 1 Drum.
>
> ...so, converting SF2 to H2 is not a straightforward
> conversion... and would require some clever logic and
> assumptions about what the SF2 "is" and how they "should be"
> in H2.
>
> The drumkits in H2 are specified in an undocumented-but-
> easy-to-grok XML file.  (E.g. see
> /usr/share/hydrogen/data/drumkits/GMkit/drumkit.xml)  You
> put all the audio data in WAV and FLAC files, and then use
> the drumkit.xml to declare how they fit into the kit.

It was all sounding like I could get away with using composite for my
intended purpose but after looking at drumkit.xml I see that
instrument id 0 (kick) is note 36 yet this isn't defined as a
parameter so I presume I can't assign arbitrary note values to
instruments at present?

Is it true that h2kits are limited to 32 instruments?

Thanks G!