Re: [LAU] chess music

From: Ricardus Vincente <wizardofgosz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 24 2011 - 21:49:31 EET

On Thu, 2011-02-24 at 12:27 -0500, Joe Hartley wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 22:26:35 +0530
> Rustom Mody <rustompmody@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > Something curious...
> > http://jonathanwstokes.com/2011/02/14/chess-music/
>
> This is fascinating, thanks for posting it! I'm a big fan of board
> games, and while I know how to play chess, it's always resisted my
> efforts to become anything other than mediocre at it.
>
> What fascinates me is how different the old master games sound when
> compared to the Fischer/Spassky game. It seems fitting given the
> wild style of play Fischer was known for. It just seems right that
> his game gives a much more atonal melody.

 I'm not so sure that I agree with that. Fischer was a tremendously
strong player with a strong middle game, and an attacking style. Those
same words can be used to describe Paul Morphy. Both players preferred
King's pawn openings.

 In the Fischer game, he had the white pieces in game 6, and C4 was
player first, which was very uncharacteristic for Fischer. (I believe
that was only the 3rd time he had ever done that in a big game).

 Play advances VERY differently depending upon which opening is chosen.
I suspect that accounts for why his game sounds so different. C4 is not
used much in general, by anyone. Typically E4 or D4 are played because
they control more of the center of the board immediately.

 Best,
 Ricardus...