Re: [LAU] Music made with Linux: Pushing Angel 303

From: Rafal Zawadzki <bluszcz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 27 2011 - 15:40:18 EET

>> i haven't seen easily reproducible crashes with ardour2 for a while
now,
>> and it has generally been very reliable for me.
>
> I can second that.
> A2 works production-stable for me both on a quad-core with MAudio 1024
> card or Presonus Firebox under Suse 11.2 with jengelh-RT-kernel and on a

> Thinkpad T60 with MAudio Mobile pro or built-in HDA under Fedora14/CCRMA

> -- with the very same 30+ track projects with dozens of plugins
> including experimental CALF-SVN-Snapshots. With less than 10ms latency.

Nice to hear it.

> I suspect problems with the system-setup and/or kernel.

I have no clue.

>> the only area where i
>> tread very lightly is midi controllers... too many events coming in or
>> going out, and it can go poof on you. there used to be a few places
>> where deleting something that had a midi controller assigned to it
would
>> do horrible things.
>>

>>> At some we found, that drums are bit desyncronised in recording and we
>>> would like them to tune a bit. So I started to slice them and we
wanted
>>> connect them - we found problem. For 1,5 hour 3 ppl (1 very technical,
1
>>> half technical, 1 non technical) were not able to find an easy / any
>>> way to
>>> activate it.
>
> You mean: automagically slicing, then "quantizing" everything?

No, make it manually...

> I seldom do stuff like that. Remember, that all the other instruments in

> the band have played with the drummer as you have recorded the material.
> Repairing one or 2 glitches in timing may be done with technology-tricks

> but if really the complete drum-track is off, would it not be
> considerable to re-record?
> At the other hand: if the drums should be "desynchronized" alltogether,
> they should be in time internally. so you would not need to slice, just
> move the complete regions.

...and problem was related with "lack of auto slicing functionality" but
with difficult navigation / moving clips.

> Anyway: the band has actually *played* the songs like this. Within 1.5 h

> it should be possible to make a better recording?

Not exactly - access to studio was only one day on saturday, on wednesday
guys wanted to distribute it...

>>> I read that piano roll will be part of ardour3 - thats sounds very
>>> promising...
>>
>> yup, a3 might be your cup of tea exactly.
>
> Only, if you want to record MIDI-notes in the first place. Such as:
> drums being triggering Hydrogen or another sampler. Instruments played
> by hand and singers will be more or less the same in A3.

What I want to achieve - simply put notes to trigger VST / DSSI / other
plugins instruments. But with possibility to see them all on one
timeoneline....As I mentioned - I knows its possible to do with hydrogen +
I think seq24 - but unfortunately it is not useful enough for me.

I really think that incoming piano roll is a solution. As far as I checked
yesterday, most promising alternative qtractor has piano roll but still
doesnt support automatisation? As far webpage says...

Cheers,

RafaƂ

--
Rafal bluszcz Zawadzki
 Django / Plone / Python / dub / drum&bass