Re: [LAU] "Laid to rest is Pro Tools LE"...

From: Renato <rennabh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 02 2011 - 16:50:11 EET

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 10:22:39 -0800
Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> I wonder how we could evangelize Linux Audio more effectively to the
> outside world?

some lateral thinking: do we need to?

I think the answer is no, and I'll explain.

First we really shouldn't care about saying how cool linux is to the
 big hoard of users who justs downloads pirated software and has no
 interest in trying out something really different, like linux. The
 comunity only looses energy with these guys and gets nothing back IMHO.

OTOH surely curious people who will try stuff out, report bugs, make
sound suggestions etc. (and then actually *make* music with the
software) I think are a benefit for the comunity.

Though of course a semplification, I think we can all agree that we
don't want the first type of users but we want the second.

Evangelizing brings linux to the attention of both. Instead just
creating good music, sharing it, making videos of the software on
youtube etc. filters out the first type of guys. So that's what we
should be doing IMO if we want to spread linux love.

cheers
renato