Re: [LAU] "Laid to rest is Pro Tools LE"...

From: Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 03 2011 - 12:06:29 EET

On 03/02/2011 06:57 PM, Kim Cascone wrote:
>> I don't really understand your criticism on those convoluted layers upon
>> layers.
>
> http://www.tuxradar.com/content/how-it-works-linux-audio-explained
>
> read this to see how people outside this list view Linux audio

Hello Kim,

Yes I know that article, which is very biased I think, but I was
referring to your article on CDM in which you state that for music
production on Linux one only needs ALSA (or FFADO for FireWire) and JACK.

>> As for tweaking conf
>> files, at the moment there are very few files you might have to tweak,
>> /etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf (or /etc/security/limits.conf) for the
>> necessary permissions, maybe /etc/systcl.conf for some performance gain
>> and /etc/fstab to add noatime to the necessary mounts.
>
> yeah thanks, been there - done that -- sorry but that statement right
> there is why most people working in music won't come anywhere near Linux
> for production

Sorry Kim, I didn't want to sound patronizing :( There are people
working on making it easier to set this up, I've seen some mock-ups for
Ubuntu Studio and Filipe Coelho from KX Studio is working on something
similar too.

>> Imho I think you can add conservatism, sheer ignorance or simple denial
>> that stuff can be done with Linux;)
> I'd say that 'simple denial' exists on both sides of the issue ;)

You mean that I for example don't know about the needs and desires of
potential Linux audio users?

Best,

Jeremy