Re: [LAU] Audio player that handles WMA audio files and WPL playlists

From: Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 03 2011 - 12:31:55 EET

On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 10:03:37AM +0100, Cedric Roux wrote:
> ----- "Joel Roth" <joelz@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > I backed up the entire user directory... not a single error.
>
> luky guy

Yabbut, I found that Windows Media Player 11 doesn't allow
a backup/restore of the license file. :(

Also, there are lots of errors in the Windows FAT partition,
but I can't correct them until I figure how to eliminate
a directory cycle.

OTOH, at least Windows XP boots. That means he can play
music at home.

For everything else, I have a Puppy Linux system that
he can start by loading a CDROM.

> > Then I copied a couple WMA albums to a NTFS drive.
> > These are albums he ripped using Windows Media Player.
> >
> > Try as I might, I couldn't get them to play under Linux. As
> > Julien suggested, I tried downloading codecs from the
> > mplayer site, deliberately specifying which codecs to use,
> > and playing with ffplay (ffmpeg).
>
> why ffplay? why not mplayer?

I tried both. I believe that Windows Media Player applies
some kind of DRM.

> > Does someone know ways people work with or around this? The
> > guy is a drummer, and he and his wife are destitute.
> > We don't have much of a budget for repairs.

> can't you post somewhere one of those files so that we can
> try to play them? Or just a few seconds if you can, I think
> it's more or less legal. Or send a link to me by private email.

I'll send you a link.

> Always a pleasure to help someone digging for, well, freedom.

Thanks!

--
Joel Roth