Re: [LAU] "Laid to rest is Pro Tools LE"...

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 03 2011 - 14:24:58 EET

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 4:00 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine
<alexandre.prokoudine@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> 2011/3/2 Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> 2) Most likely little/no personal knowledge of Linux, much less doing
>> audio in Linux. Learning to build kernels, run Jack and then even just
>> Ardour is a huge task. Throw in that their investments in plugins is
>> now likely wasted money also. (I've not heard of an RTAS host for
>> Ardour but maybe I missed that.
>
> You didn't :)
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Time_AudioSuite#Licensing
>
> Alexandre Prokoudine

Which unto itself doesn't have to be a problem and could even be a
strength of Linux audio.

The folks we'd be focused on are the PTLE people. They are primarily
home/small studio users and most likely haven't spent thousands of
dollars on licensed plugins. However they might be drawn to Linux
audio as an alternative if they understood how rich the Open Source
plugin library is.

Has anyone ever done a plugin-by-plugin replacement guide for PT
plugins showing what the most equivalent (or better) solution is in
LV2, LADSPA, etc.? Might be an interesting web page to look at.

Ardour has a page listing general groups:

http://ardour.org/plugins

but I haven't seen anything that attempts to A/B Waves plugins vs
their most comparable LADSPA version, etc.

- Mark