Re: [LAU] "Laid to rest is Pro Tools LE"...

From: Thomas Vecchione <seablaede@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 04 2011 - 15:58:49 EET

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 7:24 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> The folks we'd be focused on are the PTLE people. They are primarily

home/small studio users and most likely haven't spent thousands of
> dollars on licensed plugins. However they might be drawn to Linux
> audio as an alternative if they understood how rich the Open Source
> plugin library is.

Beg to differ strongly. I WAS one of those people(PTLE and M-Powered, still
ahve the box around here somewhere), and even though I am now using Ardour,
and have been for QUITE some time, I STILL have thousands of dollars in
plugins, and it is still a major stumbling block for going back to Linux
full time as in many cases there aren't acceptable equivalents(Real Time
noise reduction is the main one I harp on, but heck, just getting some the
are equal to TrackPlug would be a heck of a step). Just because someone is
on PTLE doesn't mean that they aren't investing money in plugins and doing
serious work.

In many cases I could even say that there is a larger problem than just
harping on capabilities. One of the major selling points of PT in
general(Compared to even Logic, DP, CuBase, etc.) is the fact you can go
into just about any studio in the world and it is there. Record a few
tracks in your garage, take it to a studio to flesh out and mixdown, works
perfect for many people, and I know many people that have this exact
workflow. AATranslator is a great tool in this regards from what I have
heard but is both closed source and Windows only, so it is very limiting at
the same time. Nothing against those folks, I am immensly glad they came
out with such a tool.

> Has anyone ever done a plugin-by-plugin replacement guide for PT
> plugins showing what the most equivalent (or better) solution is in
> LV2, LADSPA, etc.? Might be an interesting web page to look at.

Are you looking to compare only the built in PT plugins, or are you looking
to compare all the plugins that CAN be run in PT, which is a heck of a list
obviously as I am sure you know.

     Seablade