Re: [LAU] Two QjackCtl questions: JACK autostart and shutdown

From: Dominic Sacré <dominic.sacre@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 04 2011 - 00:19:16 EET

On Thursday 03 March 2011 15:01:18 Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
> On 02/28/2011 11:36 PM, Dominic Sacré wrote:
> > Do you think this could be changed, so --start would just
> > temporarily override the setting from the setup dialog? Or maybe
> > at least add a --nostart command line option?
>
> solved on svn trunk (qjackctl 0.3.7.8): now the command line server
> start option (--start) is now independent of the configuration setup
> option (Setup/Misc/Start JACK audio server on application startup).

Obrigado, works nicely!

> oh, now i get it. problem is, qjackctl doesn't make a distinction
> whether you're closing the main window by clicking on the window
> manager decoration [x] button or your desktop environment is being
> shutdown or logging off. when the system tray icon is enabled,
> closing the main window will just get it minimized, if not already.
>
> i guess this issue cannot be solved right away. it would, if one
> could distinguish a normal window-close from a desktop-shutdown, but
> there's none from plain qt4. if it makes you happier, it also
> applies to kde :)
>
> anyway, if and when that happens, you can be sure that requesting
> desktop-shutdown a second time will work (qjackctl main window will
> be minimized by that time:)

Hmm, ok... But I don't really care about QjackCtl being minimized, all I
want is for my laptop to power down. How does QjackCtl prevent the
system from shutting down anyway? If it weren't for QjackCtl, I wouldn't
even know that an application has the power to do this.

Actually, in the case of QjackCtl, the whole "close-button minimizes to
systray" behaviour never made much sense to me, mainly because it merely
minimizes the main window, but leaves other windows (connections, etc.)
open.
I like the systray icon because it allows me to quickly check JACK's
status while working in other applications (or while making music...).
Other than that, I think I'd prefer if QjackCtl and the window manager's
close-button always worked like they do when the systray icon is
disabled.

Cheers,

Dominic