Re: [LAU] Audio player that handles WMA audio files and WPL playlists

From: Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 03 2011 - 23:08:04 EET

On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 08:47:35AM -1000, david wrote:
> Joel Roth wrote:
> >A friend has an old laptop with Windows XP that is
> >misbehaving.
> >
> >He has a lot of music and playlists in the above formats.
> >Does Linux have a player that is compatible with these?
> >Wine is also possible, especially if the apps can be
> >run off an existing Windows partition.
>
> If the WMAs are encrypted, I don't think any Linux distro can play them.

Since they are encrypted, it looks like some sort of dance
would be needed to convert them to ogg, etc.

That dance would take place under Windows. Unfortunately
it's a difficult environment. Not only the OS, but the
various ad-ware that continuously pop-up.
I tried to install Firefox, but some virus causes
IE to run instead!

There appear to be some decent DRM removal apps out there,
however they some measure of tinkering.

I found out he's got Windows Media Player v. 11, and IBX key
version 11.0.6000.6324. There is FairUse4WM and Mirakagi
that appear to work for that, *if* you sign up for a Napster
account just in order to install breakable keys. What a
PITA!

I may just leave him to use his old Windows partition
as a media player.

Thanks.

--
Joel Roth