Re: [LAU] Linux Audio Monthly Round-Up #7 - February 2011

From: Q <lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 08 2011 - 18:19:37 EET

Cedric Roux wrote:
> ----- "Q" <lists@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> Linux, and Linux audio, users are a diverse group and not all of us
>> subscribe to the "everything should be totally free for anyone to do
>> anything they like with it" thinking and it can be a bit alienating to
>> be treated as if it were a homogeneous group.
>
> It's his choice. Just respect it. (I'm sure you do.)

Sorry, I didn't notice this bit first time round, as I was taking a
hasty break from trying to get the car to start.

Of course it's his choice and I never demanded he do anything other than
what he chooses, I was merely questioning his choice and, in particular,
his use of words.

I'm sure it was only an unfortunate choice of words and that there was
nothing implied in the use of the word "proper". However, I would not
hold it against anyone who inferred some sort of veiled putdown or
slight. Whilst Jeremy is an individual and speaks for no-one but himself
when providing his useful and valuable service, his actions -- all of
our actions -- reflect on the community as a whole.

It's one thing to promote an idea, but to promote it and also very
vocally and vehemently attack any opposing view is not very welcoming.
Sometimes this list can be a hostile place and it can seem that choice
is fine for those who choose the "one true way". It's often a question
of biting your tongue and keeping your head down when the groupthink
sets in.

As I said in my other message, Linux users are a diverse bunch who use
it for diverse reasons. I'm thickskinned, I can cope with the occasional
feelings of being a pariah when there's a flame-fest of a thread going
on about copyright and licences, but I just wonder how it makes many
others feel and what negative impact it might have on the community.

> The idea of free sharing needs more light than it has.

The use of "copyright (all rights reserved)" doesn't exclude the concept
of free sharing when what you're sharing is the information "I thought
this was great, you might like it, you can find it here <link>". You
don't need CC to do that.

Anyway, apologies for rambling, too much time on my hands ;-) "I used to
like to go to work, but they shut it down / I got a right to go to work
but there's no work here to be found..."

Respectfully