Re: [LAU] Linux Audio Monthly Round-Up #7 - February 2011

From: Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 08 2011 - 20:06:35 EET

On 03/08/2011 03:38 PM, Q wrote:
> Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
>> Hello RafaƂ,
>>
>> Properly licensed: CC or any other licence that allows for
>> redistribution without prior consent.
>> Easily available: direct links to music files or embedded players
>> (like SoundCloud, Jamendo or even YouTube). So no RapidShare,
>> SendSpace or similar services.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Jeremy
>>

> Why so restrictive, why not include full (C) Copyright All Rights
> Reserved stuff?
>
> Putting it on another website, torrenting, emailing it, transferring it
> to other people's drives etc would be distributing without the copyright
> holder's permission (assuming it hasn't been explicity given).
>
> If all you're doing is providing a link to something somewhere on the
> web, that's not distributing in contravention of the licence as far as I
> know and just linking to it seems to be fine in many countries.

Hello Q,

If linking to an all rights reserved work is ok I don't see why I
couldn't include those. Didn't know about that, I'm not a copyright law
expert.

> I suppose ultimately, it's your wording I object to -- copyright
> includes a proper licence, just a more restrictive one than the Creative
> Commons copyright licences.

Yes, I worded it badly, properly licensed = any work with a license that
I can link to.

> Linux, and Linux audio, users are a diverse group and not all of us
> subscribe to the "everything should be totally free for anyone to do
> anything they like with it" thinking and it can be a bit alienating to
> be treated as if it were a homogeneous group.

That's the last thing I wanted to do.

> Also, you could end up overlooking a lot of good music by not using full
> copyrighted works. Wouldn't quality or interest (however you personally
> judge those) be better criteria for inclusion?

Yes they are. But I'll omit the line about licensing for the next
round-up, I made a wrong decision by setting a license of any kind as a
criteria to include tracks in that specific section of the round-up.

Best,

Jeremy