Re: [LAU] audio latency question

From: S. Massy <lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 21 2011 - 00:49:32 EET

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 07:38:08PM +0100, J?rn Nettingsmeier wrote:
[...]
> but even when the latency is constant, drummers are used to get very
> sharp and distinct physical feedback when the stick rebounds from
> the drum head, and they are very close to the instrument. so they
> will usually be a lot less tolerant than electric guitarists (who
> are used to operate at 3 or 4 m distance from their amps or monitor
> speakers) or (extreme example) church organists, who can learn to
> deal with tens or even hundreds of milliseconds of latency (plus a
> dragging congregation choir on top) :-D
Not really in line with this topic, but this observation raised the
question in my mind based on personal experience. Latencies that seemed
fine to me through speakers have often become noticeable when using
headphones. Likewise being closer to speakers/monitors, one is often
more likely to notice latency issues. This makes me wonder whether our
brain hasn't got built-in compensation for room accoustics peculiarity.
Does any one know of theory/research supporting this idea?
Cheers,
S.M.