Re: [LAU] help with guitarix settings - jack issue

From: Cedric Roux <sed@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 26 2011 - 10:13:01 EET

----- "Paul Davis" <paul@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 7:09 PM, Cedric Roux <sed@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > something. There are issues, like jack refusing to work with
> > buffers of less than 512 frames (I am not with a rt kernel)
>
> when you say "refuse" do you mean "will not start" or "performs
> badly"?

jackd -d alsa -C hw:2 -P hw:0 -r 44100 -p 256

leads to:

jackdmp 1.9.6
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2010 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
JACK server starting in non-realtime mode
Cannot lock down memory area (Cannot allocate memory)
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:2|256|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
Using ALSA driver HDA-Intel running on card 0 - HDA Intel at 0xdc500000 irq 44
configuring for 44100Hz, period = 256 frames (5.8 ms), buffer = 2 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 24bit little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit integer little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for playback
alsa_driver_xrun_recovery
JackAudioDriver::ProcessAsync: read error, skip cycle
alsa_driver_xrun_recovery
(and a continuous repetition of the last two lines, several
times per second, like 10 maybe)

-p 512 and higher works
without hw:2 plugged in -p 256 works but not below

without -r 44100 I have same result (it goes 48000).

I tried as root to have a better nice, no change.

Maybe it's not a jack issue, maybe it's the bad configuration
of another part of the system. It's ubuntu 10.10 with no
customization except removing pulseaudio.