Re: [LAU] help with guitarix settings

From: Q <lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 26 2011 - 12:12:54 EET

Cedric Roux wrote:
> ----- "Q" <lists@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> Reading a bit more, May's guitar has "phase switches" to change the
>> way
>> in which the pickups are wired in relation to each other. Not
>> something
>> you can do quickly or without a soldering iron on most guitars.
>
> Oh, I thought it was on every guitar with two pickups like that
> when you put the selector in between you have this "phase stuff".

I'm not a Strat man and I'm not into modding guitars, so I don't know
anything much about it. I believe that people modify Strats so that the
middle pickup is "out of phase" with the other two -- sonically it only
has an effect in pickup positions 2 and 4 (that is, when two pickups are
used together). This is a permanent change, but on May's guitar the
switch changes between in phase and out of phase as I understand it.

I found an article about modding Strats this way which also mentions
May's Red Special:

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2008/Nov/Phasing_Out_How_to_get_out_of_phase_sounds_from_a_Stratocaster.aspx

This is about the nearest I can be bothered getting,
>> both
>> note wise and tonally. It's played on three different guitars with
>> different pickup configurations:
>>
>> www.quirq.ukfsn.org/BoRap.ogg
>
> I would say I prefer the second guitar.
> What is it? And what are the others? How do you record?
> what soundcard/preamp/amp?

1) Gibson Les Paul Studio, treble (bridge) pickup
2) Fender Stratocaster MIM, position 4 (middle and bridge pickups)
3) Yamaha SA503TVL (Gibson ES335 style semi-hollow with P90 single coil
pickups), middle and bridge pickups

All had the tone controls fully up (brightest sound), all played with a
2 mm pick for good attack.

Plugged into a Focusrite Platinum TwinTrak preamp, into an M-Audio
Audiophile 2496 soundcard, then through Guitarix and recorded in Ardour.

I'm fine using compressors and phasers with lots of controls when I'm
mixing, but I don't like that when I'm playing guitar, nor stereo
effects: effects pedals are usually simple with few knobs -- obviously
designed with guitarists in mind ;-) -- so I found Guitarix not to my
liking. I suppose I'm lucky that normally I can crank a real amp up
pretty loud and just stick a couple of mics in front of it.

>> I don't know whether this is close enough to the sound you're after.
>> If it's anywhere near, I can let you have the settings.
>
> It is! Send the settings! :-)

I think I've saved the preset correctly, if not, let me know and I'll
tell you the settings manually. Here it is: www.quirq.ukfsn.org/BoRap_rc

Have fun