Re: [LAU] Introduction to Ardour 3.0 MIDI

From: allcoms <allcoms@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 28 2011 - 02:55:50 EEST

HI Dan!

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 8:37 PM, Dan Capp <reflectremain@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Thanks for putting together this great video. Really useful for me as I've
> just started experimenting with Ardour 3.0 in order to keep my MIDI use as
> barebones as possible and not have to open Rosegarden (as great a tool as it
> is).

Good to hear it!

The use of A2J and velocity control where particularly useful bits of
> info for me. I do have a question or two which aren't strictly Ardour 3.0
> related but are pertinent to your tutorial:
>
> 1) I watched in envy as you ran A2J and plugins, alongside Ardour, and that
> xrun counter stayed green. When I try and do the same, I get one-off xruns
> upon A2J command and then again when trying to load plugins. Any idea why? I
> don't think it's related to buffer size as I don't get continuous xruns (or
> any at all) after loading the session - only on loading of apps. I'm a
> perfectionist and even though those one-off xruns probably won't affect my
> ability to record sound, their presence annoys me.

Paul is 220% busy finishing Ardour 3.0 right now but there is nothing
more I'd love than to see him, Torben or any of our other JACK experts
to do an 'Introduction to JACK' video (aka xrun killa) that would let
me shave 10m or so off this vid. In answer to your question- I dunno!

> 2) Your QJackCtl Session seemed to save and then load A2J seamlessly. When I
> save a session which includes A2J, that session doesn't include A2J again
> when loaded. Any ideas?

The fact that a2jmidid got mentioned at all was almost by accident as
I practiced the vid under ALSA which is what I normally use and don't
need it there thanks to the seq MIDI driver. Honestly, I'd never tried
A2J w/ a JACK session before I created this video so I'm wondering
about this myself now. I'm sure Rui can tell you what the deal is with
this.

> - Dan

Thanks for your feedback!

Have you got to watch it yet Paul?